DURATION OF COURSE
4 hours – Awareness Level
Construction statistics indicate that many employees lose their lives unnecessarily by being crushed or suffocated while working in trenching and excavating operations. This course will instruct employees on different soil types, recognition of excavation hazards, and protective systems.
Upon completion of training the participants will be acquainted with the following:
- Defining excavation and when protection is required
- Competent person duties and responsibilities
- Soil classification
- Sloping, shoring, and benching
- Aluminum hydraulic and timber shoring
- Shoring boxes and shields
- Trenches and excavations
- Excavation checklist and contractor safety program elements
At the conclusion of the class, each participant will complete a written exam and practical skills demonstration. The course will include media presentations and site-specific discussions.